While pool chemicals are certainly an important part of the winterization process, there are many other steps that must be followed.
By making sure the pool is closed properly, owners are working to ensure the opening in the spring is easier as well.These general guidelines can assist in the closing process.
– The owner needs to begin by locating the winter season cover and having the winterizing materials convenient. As fall has actually arrived, leaves and other debris may have gotten in the water, so vacuum the swimming pool extensively to prevent staining the liner over the winter season. Likewise try to get rid of existing spots to make sure the surface is at its cleanest.
– After cleaning, the water level should be adjusted. Many producers suggest draining the water so that the level is 3-6 inches below the skimmer for solid covers and in between 12 and 18 inches below the skimmer for mesh covers.
– Another step, in the process, includes stabilizing the water chemistry. Using pool chemicals of choice, the pH must be adjusted to fall in between 7.2-7.6 and the alkalinity must lie in the variety of 110-150ppm. Other chemicals such as a shock item and an algaecide are highly advised to prevent the liner from bleaching and to keep scaling from occurring throughout the cold weather. These products must be permitted to circulate for numerous hours in order to attain optimum benefit.
– Depending upon the type of filtration system utilized, the filter will certainly have to be cleaned +/ or unplugged. Cartridge filter aspects should be removed and cleaned. After 2-3 years, a new cartridge filter must be acquired. Sand filters need to be backwashed to extend the life of the filter. Every 7-10 years, the sand filter need to be changed. When it come to a DE filter, the filter should be backwashed and the filter tank drained and the backwash valve left open.
– At this point, devices such as hoses, toys, skimmer, fittings, plugs, and so on must be cleaned out of the pool location and kept for next season. Theses items need to be completely dry so they don’t inadvertently freeze and get damaged during the winter season. Water needs to be burnt out of products such as, however not restricted to: pumps, blowers, and chlorinators.
– Setting up the winter cover is a final and extremely crucial part of the closing process. There are a variety of covers available for above-ground designs and it truly relies on the owner and the outdoor setting to determine which type is most ideal. Winter covers can be made of mesh or polyethylene. Mesh design covers filter about debris while enabling snow and rain to fail. Strong covers made of polyethylene avoid everything from getting in the water. Both types must be looked for any damage from the previous winter. Rips and tears must be repaired with a patch kit if possible. Nevertheless, if the damage is too severe, the cover must be replaced. It is advisable to examine regularly to guarantee that the cover is safely secured.